Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tips For Using Coconut Oil In Your Beauty Routine



I love how coconut oil has made my skin appear so much brighter and younger looking - but hate the oily mess it can create in my bathroom.  Here are some great tips I’ve discovered to prevent waste, mess and enjoy using this miraculous oil more. 

First of all, only buy extra virgin cold pressed organic unrefined coconut oil because it contains no destructive bleaches, chemicals or heat processes that destroy its’ health benefits. 

I keep a small amount of coconut oil in a prep bowl (from my kitchen) on my bathroom vanity. I put approximately ¼ cup of oil in the bowl -which lasts about a week. When it's empty I run it through the dishwasher and refill it from the container I keep stored in my kitchen for cooking and nutritional purposes. 

To apply coconut oil to my face or body I love dipping into the oil with my MakeUpMiser flex- tip beauty spatula instead of my fingers .  I found that using my fingers caused a lot of waste, cross- contamination and instant dripping because it melts at just 76 degrees.  My beauty spatulas are just the right size to scoop and hold onto the very small amount needed and prevent it from melting before I'm ready to apply. 

This is how I use coconut oil as a facial cleanser -  First I pat my face with warm water and then take about a half scoopful of oil with my medium-sized "Miser" spatula and apply it directly to my face. I cleanse by using circular and long massaging strokes. I can even use it on my eyelids.  The longer I massage the better.  To rinse I take a fluffy washcloth and run it several times in hot water to make sure all detergents are washed out.  Then I squeeze out most (but not all) of the hot water and drape it over my entire face to allow the steam to penetrate into my skin for awhile.  Ahhhhh...this feels heavenly!   I rinse my face using the other side of the cloth with warm to tepid water. 

Coconut oil is a fabulous all over makeup remover!  I spread a little oil on 100% cotton balls or cotton rounds with the back side of my beauty spatula - like spreading butter - and it instantly wipes off mascara and makeup.   It is safe, inexpensive and a natural lash conditioner. I never need to buy makeup remover again!

Rotating coconut oil as a cleanser/moisturizer and my usual skincare products at night time gives my skin a variety of beneficial ingredients.   My skin looks healthier using this method and also stretches out my expensive skincare products to save me big $$ money.

For a full body wash, I use my larger beauty spatula and apply scoopfuls (one at a time) directly to my body -massaging it in well.  I wait a couple of minutes to allow the oil to penetrate my skin (about the time it takes to brush my teeth) before stepping into the shower. Because coconut oil has an anti-bacterial component it's a great body wash. To rinse off excess oil I just use the shower water to rub down the oil with a fresh washcloth.  This is such a luxurious body treatment after a day at the beach.

If you suffer from keratosis pilaris (those little tiny white bumps on your upper arms and back of legs) apply coconut oil in or out of the shower and watch them disappear in a few days. 

Coconut oil is the best and most economical shaving lotion I’ve ever found and protects against irritation and moisturizes at the same time.

The fastest way to wash the oil off the spatulas is to use a travel-size spray bottle filled with 70% rubbing alcohol.  Just spray and tissue off...so easy and very sanitary.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment